My Rating: ★★★★☆ (4/5)
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Mara Dyer believes life can’t get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.
She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
I had no idea what I was going into when I started reading this book. Because I don’t read Paranormal book often, but I have been wanting to read this series for months already so why not right?
AND NOW THAT I FINISHED THE FIRST BOOK, I’M ASKING WHY? WHY DID I LET MYSELF WALK INTO THIS? BECAUSE NOW I FEEL HAUNTED, CREEP OUT AND FILLED WITH PARANOIA.
I don’t know how to process my feelings with this book into words so I’m just gonna tell you the things that I liked and the ones that I didn’t.
THINGS THAT I LIKED:
- The writing style. This book was written so beautifully, I just can’t. The words played with my imagination which made the scenes disturbingly alive. Plus, the witty conversations throughout the book was funny and entertaining.
- The mystery. I WAS LIKE, WHAT? WHAT? WHO? WHAT? WHY? WHY? WHAT THE HECK???
- NOAH SHAW. Because he is impossibly perfect. And his eyes! My god, when Mara said that his eyes wasn’t gray but in fact blue, I lost it. I WAS LIKE: NEW BOOK BOYFRIEND ALERT!
- Some of the cheesy but cutesy scenes that had me laughing/giggling
“There,” he said as he finished tying the laces on my left shoe. “Now you won’t fall.” Too late.
- Mara’s family. They felt so real, and every member felt alive. I am in love with his older brother Daniel, why can’t every big brother be like him?
- Mara’s thoughts. I felt her frustrations, paranoia, the warm and fuzzy feeling with Noah. There were times that I just wanted to hug her to make her feel alright.
- The ending. It was bloody brilliant.
- 213 (I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICED THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS NUMBER IN THE BOOK? PLEASE TELL ME YOU NOTICED IT TOO!)
THINGS THAT I DIDN’T LIKED:
- NOAH SHAW. Because he is impossibly perfect. And a bit manipulative.
- The romance. Don’t get me wrong, I also liked the romance but somehow it was too much and I wanted more of the paranormal and creepy things.
- Sometimes I just can’t cope up with the book! It was frustrating at some point, I was like what just happened?
- THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.
But all in all, I can say that it was a great first book for a promising trilogy ahead! It was the right build-up for the story and I can feel that it will be more intense and thrilling in the next book.